Saturday, August 3, 2013

Review: How I Exiled My Inner Bitch by Miv Evans


Synopsis:
Dionne is 36, and still hooked on the imaginary twin she invented to get her through her desolate childhood. With such an odd companion, long-term relationships are impossible and she is doomed to live her life as a serial monogamist, until the Go Along Guy shows up. Greg has denial on intravenous, so Dionne’s quirks simply pass him by and, pretty soon, shallow love blossoms. Unfortunately, however, what are also blossoming are Greg’s teenage daughters. They don’t like Dionne and their hormones are raging.

My Rating: 4

My Review:

I've always had an interest in psychological disorders. Seeing them in movies and novels alike always catch my interest. I can let out my inner psychologist without having to actually talk to anyone, and that is awesome. So when I heard that How I Exiled My Inner Bitch was a psychological comedy, I was immediately interested.

Now, I am not usually one to judge a book by its title (especially because I suck at coming up with titles in my own writing) but this one definitely intrigued me. Not to mention, the story is even better than I would have initially imagined.

The characters in How I Exiled my Inner Bitch are extremely well-developed. Dionne is a good protagonist, and certain aspects of her are very easy to relate to. Lionne was definitely my favorite, not only acting as the most entertaining character by far, but really causing the reader to think.

Even now, after completing the novel, parts of it are still fresh on my mind. While reading, I really had to question the reality of certain portions. Although it is clear that Lionne is imaginary, Evans does such a great job with her character, I felt that I was Dionne and actually believed her to be real. Having a realistic fiction novel that gets the reader to question reality is truly a gem to discover.

Having Dionne as a connectible character just makes the reading experience even better. I'm the middle child of three,  and I know what it is like to feel the odd one out with siblings. Just as I am sure that many readers can connect to having that nasty voice inside of their minds. (Even if the voice isn't personified in a schizophrenic kind of way.)

How I Exiled my Inner Bitch is highly entertaining and comedic. Some parts had me chuckling to myself to say the very least. Although being very funny, Evans still manages to convey dark pasts and serious themes.

I loved every minute of How I Exiled my Inner Bitch, and highly recommend the novel. Readers are sure to be in for an entertaining and gripping experience. And they might just wonder how they were affected by the imaginary friends they had as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment