Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: Rebel Heart (Dustlands, #2) by Moira Young


Synopsis:
It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.


My Review:

For those who are new to the series, Blood Red Road follows the story of Saba, a strong and clever girl who has to rescue her twin brother, Lugh, with the help of her younger sister, Em, and the sexy bad-boy, Jack. (Seriously. Are all sexy bad-boys in Dystopian/Apocalyptic novels named Jack? Or are all fictional characters named Jack sexy bad-boys?) Although that is just the most basic logline and does not give much justice to the novel, Rebel Heart continues Saga's story, and will keep you on the edge of your seat, dying for more.

From the very beginning, Rebel Heart is an attention-grabber, and it is the kind of novel that keeps you reading, even if it is way past your bedtime or you should be studying. In no way will Rebel Heart be a disappointment to Dustlands fans.

Although it would have been nice to see more Jack in the novel, (I understand why we didn't, and it works for the better.) the characters we do see only continue to amaze.

Saba is a wonderful protagonist. She is fierce, entertaining, and has an excellent voice displayed throughout the writing. It is nice to see female characters that can kick-ass. Even Em is proving to be a great character, not seeming helpless, despite her age, and actually having very important ideas. DeMalo is a very intriguing character. Two different sides of him were shown, and I am excited to see what will become of him. Based on the ending of the novel, I also am excited to see how Tommo is going to grow as a character. I'm thinking he is going to show a lot more of his emotions.

Speaking of emotions, I am an emotional reader. I am not too proud to admit it. When it comes to reality, I am more of a save-it-for-your-bedroom kind of girl. However, something about books and movies just get me. I cry at so many of them. This is why I wanted to give fair warning that Rebel Heart may leave you a little bit emotionally confused. Or overwhelmed. Or both.

Rebel Heart is action-packed, entertaining, and stunning. A definite must-read.



***Spoiler Alert from this point down. If you have yet to read Rebel Heart or Blood Red Road, please STOP reading this and go read them instead!***


A few things I just want to point out, since I feel the overwhelming need to talk about them.

I feel that Rebel Heart was a bit more dramatic than Blood Red Road was...not entirely sure if "dramatic" is the right word, but you might have an idea on what I mean. I think the majority of it involves DeMalo.

First of all, I am not against the fact that Saba went with another man. She thought that Jack had betrayed her, and was having a pretty emotional time. The whole romance with DeMalo did happen a bit quickly, but hey, I get it. I really hope that Saba isn't pregnant though. I feel that is an unnecessary addition that would just take away from the plot. Sure, it happens. But that storyline just happens a bit too much.

Like I briefly mentioned before, I am really excited to see what will come of Tommo. He has been shown as kind of helpless before, even though he isn't. He is deaf, not useless. I am thinking that we will get to see a lot more of his character in the future, and it was awesome to here his point of view at the end, more heated than usual.

In short, waiting for the third book is going to be terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment