Wednesday, July 31, 2013

2013 Summer Author Blitz - Interview with Frankie Blooding

For the 2013 Summer Author Blitz, I was lucky enough to interview Frankie Blooding, author of Fall of Sky City.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Book 1 of the Devices of War Trilogy

In a world governed by the opposing forces of the mystical House of Tarot and the tribal Great Families, Synn is caught in the crossfire. He witnesses the slaughter of innocent people, and the devastating murder of his father. This act awakens his Mark of power, a Mark greater than any the world has seen in a very long time.


Queen Nix thought she won a great prize when she destroyed Synn’s father, the leader of the strongest Great Families. She had no idea she’d be doubly blessed by capturing his son. However, before Synn can become her treasured weapon, before she can use him to bring the rest of the world to its knees, she must break him and bind his soul to hers.

She does her job with brutal brilliance. Synn’s mind is broken and his soul is seared to hers in an unbreakable bond.

That doesn’t stop him from wanting to be free. She may have broken his mind and claimed his soul, but he will find a way to destroy her.

Experience a world of ships that sail the clouds and cites buried beneath the ocean, and survive the fiery battle brought forth by those who control the forces of nature!


Goodreads                                                                                                                Amazon
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

JW: What have you written? Describe your novel(s) in one line.
FB: Fall of Sky City - Synn must find the courage to do what the Great Families never could--strike back at the Hands of Tarot.

JW: What is your favorite genre to write? 
FB: Fantasy. I love to write anything fantasy. I love being able to world-build. I think you can see that in my work. I love how the genre's basically limitless. 

JW: If you had to play favorites with your characters, which one would you choose to be your favorite?
FB: Oh, Synn for sure! Though, there's a new favorite on rise in a new series I'm working on right now. His name is River and I think he's going to give Synn a run for his money. 

JW: Where do you like to write?
FB: My favorite spot is down by the creek. I have to wear bug spray, don't get me wrong, but there's this lovely tree. I love to just sit on the roots, listen to the creek, feel the wind, and say hi to the passing people. I love writing there. 

JW: What are you currently writing?
FB: I'm currently working on my Super Secret Dreamland project before I get back to Knight of Wands (book 2 of Devices of War). I'm calling this new series the Adventures in Dreamland. It's about the children born from Dreamland and the adventures they go through to help shape their changing world. Each novella is going to be an "Episode" and there will be a nugget in each one that directly connects to the full-length novels in romance series, Dreamland Stories. 

While the full-length novels are taking longer for me to produce and publish, I should be able to get these out a bit faster. I still want to do them right, but it's just such a great way to keep everyone in Dreamland, and to give them a behind-the-scenes look almost. This setting is just so massive. It's incredible the kinds of stories that come from it. 

JW: What are you currently reading?
FB:The Clockwork Bluebird by Ravven. It's taken me forever to free up time to read it! But, oh my word, it's a good read.

JW: When not writing or reading, what do you enjoy doing?
FB: There's time like that? *head desk* 

I enjoy creating in other ways--sewing, crocheting, baking, gluing. You name it. I'm also trying to learn to play the guitar, and I'm having a TON of fun taking classes that are well beyond my high school education at Coursera. I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics. OMW. It's awesome fun! 

JW: Have you always wanted to be an author?
FB: No. I wanted to be an astrobiophysicist for the longest time. LOL! 

JW: If you were transported into the world of any novel or book series, which would you want it to be?
FB: Before I became a writer, I would have said Valdemar or the Taledras (Mercedes Lackey). Now, I would have to choose between Illona (Devices of War) or Dreamland. And I just...Ooohhhhh. Could I bounce between the two?

JW: If stranded on a deserted island for an indefinite amount of time, what is the ONE thing you would want with you?
FB: My computer with Internet access so I could write and share my stories. That sounds awful  doesn't it? LOL! I just get so much enjoyment writing and then hearing what other people think, even if they don't like the books. I still love it. 

JW: If you found yourself in a horror movie, do you think you would make it to the end? Why or why not?
FB: Yes. I think if I found myself in a horror movie, I'd dip in Queen Nix's personae and BECOME the villain. *nods* Yeah. It wouldn't be great for everyone, but maybe I could make a hero out of her THAT way. Muahahahahahahha! 

JW: Lastly, what advice would you give to aspiring writers?
FB: Wear Big Girl Panties every day, and don't quit. If you're going to cry about everything, go into another line of work. This is tough and most of the time, it's brutal. It's exhausting. It's a lot of hard work. There are going to be days when you have to drag yourself out of bed because you're just so overwhelmed and tired and overworked, but if this is really your dream, suffer through it and don't quit. 
______________________________________________________________________

SM Blooding lives in Colorado with her pet rock, Rockie and her bird, Jack. She likes to hike the beautiful Rocky Mountains, and is learning to play the  guitar. She’s dated vampires, werewolves, sorcerers, weapons smugglers and US Government assassins. Yes. She has stories.

Visit Frankie at http://www.smblooding.com/ and Frankie Blooding's Bookshelf

Also, be sure to check her out on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment