Friday, March 7, 2014

Review: Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic by Iain Reading


Synopsis

Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic is the thrillingly cryptic fourth installment of the exciting Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency Series featuring the intrepid teenage seaplane pilot Kitty Hawk and her various adventures of mystery and intrigue as she follows in the footsteps of Amelia Earhart on an epic flight around the world. This fourth book in the series brings Kitty to the emerald hills of Ireland where she meets a handsome stranger and is quickly swept up in a perplexing hundred-year-old family treasure hunt involving secret codes and puzzling clues that lead her on a fast-paced adventure that carries her from Dublin to London - from the decks of the ill-fated ocean liner Titanic to the temples of ancient Egypt and the streets of Jack the Ripper - until she finally unlocks the mystery and discovers the long-hidden treasure. Much like the earlier books in this series, Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic is a perfect book to fire the imaginations of armchair detectives of all ages. Filled with fascinating and highly Google-able locations and history the reader will find themselves immersed in brand new worlds that are brought to life before their very eyes as Kitty Hawk experiences the stories and history of a doomed ocean liner and unravels the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic. 


My Rating
5

My Review

This is the fourth Kitty Hawk novel that I reviewed, and I'm surprised - but pleased - to say that it may just be my favorite one yet. Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic is thrilling, engaging, and an exciting ride until to the very end.

I can think of plenty of reasons why Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic was such an enjoyable read.

1. The History
Just like in the first three novels, the historical background is highly interesting. The facts are brilliantly woven into the story so they feel like first-hand accounts. From reading more about the Titanic itself to Ancient Egypt, I could not get enough of the tales.

2. The Mystery
Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic has such a wonderful plot that revolves around the mystery of the story. Having always been a fan of mysteries, I especially enjoyed this one. Not only did it involve code, a jetski getaway, and the Titanic, but did not have any slow portions.

3. The Location
Taking place in Great Britain, the setting was perfect for the novel. Although cultural components were not as prominent in this book that in the third book, I found that to work better. I was glad to have a story that focuses on the mystery at hand. Besides, I'm not completely in the dark about the land across the pond, I watch BBC.

4. The Characters
This time, there are two in particular. The first is Thomas Ismay. He is a good, old-fashioned villain to get in the way of solving the mystery. He has nobility, power, and a bad attitude that allows for the respect all good antagonists deserve.
Although Andrew was a great companion for Kitty, but the second character I have to mention is Richard. Despite that the fact that he wasn't a huge role in the story, the fact that he is a tour guide for tours on both Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes is enough to make me be disappointed in the fact that he's fictional.
Which brings me to the next reason...

5. The Fact That There is a Large Sherlock Holmes Reference That is Incorporated Into the Mystery.

6. The Themes
The themes of Kitty Hawk and the Tragedy of the RMS Titanic are absolutely beautiful. Between what is learned from the conclusion of the big mystery to what Kitty herself learns through the entire experience. One thing I love about this series is the way that it makes the reader feel like they should get out there and experience, really live life to the fullest.

Last, but not least,

7. The Epilogue
I won't ruin anything. But it made me very happy.

All in all, I can't think of many reasons not to read this novel, so I suggest in finding it right away.

I'll be awaiting the next adventure.



In Case You Missed It...
Here are the links to my previous reviews for the series:

No comments:

Post a Comment