Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Lovely Vicious by Sara Wolf (Tour Stop)






Fire meets ice. Love meets hate.



Seventeen-year-old Isis Blake hasn’t fallen in love in three years, nine weeks, and five days, and after what happened last time, she intends to keep it that way. Since then she’s lost eighty-five pounds, gotten four streaks of purple in her hair, and moved to the Buttcrack-of-Nowhere Ohio to help her mom escape a bad relationship.



All the girls in her new school want one thing – Jack Hunter, the Ice Prince of East Summit High. Hot as an Armani ad, smart enough to get into Yale, and colder than the Arctic, Jack Hunter’s never gone out with anyone. Sure, people have seen him downtown with beautiful women, but he’s never given high school girls the time of day. Until Isis punches him in the face.



Jack’s met his match. Suddenly everything is a game.



The goal: Make the other beg for mercy.



The game board: East Summit High.



The reward: Something neither of them expected.



**This book contains language, some of which may be unsuitable for younger readers.



**This is the first book in the LOVELY VICIOUS series.


Purchase Links:

  
My Rating: 5

My Review: 

Do you see that little *** above, noting that this novel is the first book of the Lovely Vicious series? If not, go back and read it. Then read it again. Why am I telling you this? Because when I finally got the chance to read Lovely Vicious, I had not read my email in a while, and forgot that it was part of a series. Thus, when I got to the end, I was ready to smash my ereader with an aluminum baseball bat. I don't want you to go through that.
What I want you to do is get your hands on a copy of Lovely Vicious. I don't care if you have to lie, cheat, or steal. Okay, maybe don't do those things. It's worth it a lot easier to just click on the purchase links above. Regardless, you need to read this novel. Even if you think you don't, I'm pretty sure you do.

I can't remember the last time I fell so hard for characters. Lets start with Isis, who can also be known as one of my favorite voices in all of fiction. She's funny, clever, strong, and I feel that I can relate to her so much more than other YA contemporary characters. (People who use confidence and humor to hide insecurities, unite!) From the very beginning, I knew that she was golden, then she said "less-than-stellar" and I knew that she's my soulmate. Or whatever the equivalent of a soulmate is when talking about a non-romantic fictional character that you can see yourself in.

Then there's Jack. Living(ish), breathing(ish), fictional proof that teenage girls really are attracted to guys with a dark side. If you like a character who is a lot more than meets the eye, you'll love Jack. He's not the traditional love interest in any way, which just make him more wonderful. Although at times (really just one time in particular) I really had to question certain things that I found attractive.

Lovely Vicious is fantastically written. Isis has such a great sense of humor that she makes for a perfect narrator. The pacing is excellent, as I completely devoured the book. I quite literally could not put it down. It kept me guessing, smiling, laughing, shouting 'NO!' alone in my room so I sound like a crazy person - all the things that one looks for in contemporary YA. There are excellent themes that can hit home with just about anyone, regardless of their age and experience.

There are some books that I feel like I can go on and on about forever, excited from my post-reading high, and this is definitely one of them. The fastest way to my heart for a novel is to have a dark side, followed closely by humor, bonus points for sarcasm. Lovely Vicious just plowed on through.

I can say all I want about this book, but it's really something readers should experience for themselves. Give it a chance, you definitely won't regret it.

You may, however, feel a longing for book two so strong, it almost hurts...

No comments:

Post a Comment