Saturday, November 9, 2013

Review: Godspeed by February Grace






Synopsis:

"What is a heart if not the ultimate clockwork?"

Abigail’s young life was saved by the kindness of strangers: Schuyler Algernon, the man who found her collapsed on cold city streets, and Quinn Godspeed, the doctor who risked everything by breaking the law to keep her fragile heart beating.

As the truth about what she’s become and her feelings for her savior overtake her, Abigail is forced to ask what constitutes life, living, and what dark secrets are contained within Godspeed’s past and the walls of Schuyler’s house.


Amazon                                                      Goodreads                                             Barnes and Noble


My Rating: 5

My Review:

From the very first scene, readers will become immersed in the world of Godspeed. The novel starts out with a mix of emotion and suspense that sets up a great tone for the rest of the story. Between the powerful voice and beautiful language, I could not help but become emotionally invested in this novel.

The storyline was excellent. I'm a sucker for anything clockwork (don't ask me why) as well as Victorian YA, so the work of Godspeed definitely had my interest from the very beginning. All my favorite stories are at least a little dark, and I was thrilled to find that in the plot of Godspeed.

And the characters! The characters. Definitely the shining achievement (although by no means the only achievement) of this novel. Elsewhere (shall I call her Elsewhere?) is such a strong female character. She has been through a lot, and that shows in her personality and actions, but she also is a bit of a romantic. That mix of characterization is a refreshing realism compared to the black-and-white, clear-cut personalities many characters are given. As a reader, I could not help but root for Else the entire time. As I cheered for her mechanical heart to keep beating, another character stole my own.

First of all, is Quinn Godspeed not one of the coolest names you have ever heard? I have good news, the character is just as wonderful. If you are anything like me (and for your sake, I pray not) then you have a soft spot for brilliant men with a dark side. (Sherlock Holmes, Will Graham, Pellinore Warthrop, need I say more?) Quinn is not only a genius, but also has the perfect amount of mystery that keeps us fangirls going. Plus, those swoon-worthy, show-how-perfect-he-is, hint-of-future-romance moments are definitely included.

And the romance in Godspeed is excellent. It is not overbearing to the point where it takes control of the entire story, but it is strong enough that it definitely became one of my favorites. From the main love interest to the relationships that never actually happened, I was hooked.

Godspeed is a novel that pulls you into a new world and keeps you there for a while. From the amazing, life-saving contraptions of Quinn Godspeed to the perfect ending, Godspeed is an excellent choice for fans with a variety of tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment